In a mass protest 15,000 Hindus, the majority of them Dalits, marched through the streets of Karachi to push for the provincial Government of Sindh in Pakistan to meet their demands for provisions to stop escalating discrimination against Hindus in the region.
Following the protest a committee of the Sindh government, comprising 3 Ministers and senior government officials, accepted all the demands set out in the demand paper, after meeting with a committee including the organizers of the protest. The Sindh government also agreed to form a joint committee for the implementation of the remaining demands and suggestions.
HRW Report: Cleaning Human Waste: Manual Scavenging, Caste, and Discrimination in India The Indian Government should end manual scavenging says Human Rights Watch in the new report, Cleaning Human Waste: "Manual Scavenging," Caste, and Discrimination in India. The report was released together with a short video and received extensive media coverage, read key press clippings here >> . WaterAid also issued a supporting statement >>.
Caste-based discrimination highlighted at the UN Human Rights Council The reports and statements of the new High Commissioner for Human Rights, Special Rapporteur on Slavery and Special Rapporteur on Water and Sanitation at the HRC27 session offered general, thematic as well as state specific observations and recommendations on caste-based discrimination. Please find references to caste-based discrimination at the HRC27 here >> and read the IDSN Recommendations on the issue of caste-based discrimination for the HRC27 session here >>
UN CERD urges Japan to act on discrimination against the Buraku The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) recommends that Japan effectively apply its legislation to protect the Buraku people and provide information and indicators on concrete measures to uplift their living conditions and position in society.
Dalits in Pakistan suffer from severe drought – despite promises to act 1.2 million people and five million livestock in district Tharparkar are now once again in the grip of a severe drought and efforts to prevent future human catastrophies must be stepped up.
Thousands of Dalits protest over attacks and discrimination in Pakistan In a mass protest 15,000 Hindus, the majority of them Dalits, marched through the streets of Karachi to push for the provincial Government of Sindh in Pakistan to meet their demands for provisions to stop escalating discrimination against Hindus in the region. Read also the IDSN briefing note for the UN on religious minorities in Pakistan.
India’s Prime Minister and the President urge the nation to end casteism In two separate speeches India’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, and President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee, have stressed the urgent need to end casteism and communal violence splitting the Nation and hampering India’s development.
Nepal: UN Human Rights Council should exert pressure to abolish Haliya practice, a form of slavery The Asian Human Rights Commission have issued a statement to the UN HRC urging them to excerpt pressure on Nepal to end the bonded labour of Dalits in the Haliya system in Nepal.
Dalit girls in Nepal particularly vulnerable to child marriage In an analysis entitled “Nepal: why child marriage persists”, based on findings by Save the Children, World Vision, and Plan, IRIN news highlight that Dalit girls are at particular risk of child marriage in Nepal, and that concerted efforts to change the social welfare for Dalits in Nepal are needed.
EU Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World highlights caste The report includes key references to caste-based discrimination in the chapters on India, Nepal and Pakistan. See the caste references here >> and read the full report here >>
Six year remembrance day for the victims of the Kandhamal communal violence, observed across India Six years ago, on 25th of August, communal violence in Kandhamal, Odisha, destroyed 6,500 houses and displaced more than 56, 000 people, most of them Dalits or Adivasis. The victims and their families still await justice, the day was marked by solidarity actions across the country and a set of demands were presented by the victims.
Video: New Documentary film on the Devadasi practice: The Holy Wives
- This YouTube channel shows what it’s like to be an 'untouchable' (globalpost.com)
- Don't mention the apartheid: Caste-discrimination and poverty in South Asia (Speech given by the Director of Anti-Slavery International)
- Contours of caste disadvantage (The Hindu – Opnion piece on findings from analysis of discrimination in India)
- Still I rise (Elle India – the story of an American Dalit woman)
- Dalits put forth 27 demands to Constituent Assembly (ekantipur.com)
- NCDHR Haryana State Coordinator wins Ambedkar Award (NCDHR press release)
- Shocking Stories of Caste Discrimination at Public Hearing (New Indian Express)
- Caste discrimination in India's elite institutions (DNA India)
- Dalit children barred from entering govt school in UP(India Today)
- Caste struggle and politics (The Nation)
- Rights groups seek amendments to SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act (The Hindu)
- Supreme Court says caste-free India is a mirage(India Today)
- Non-Dalit youths must know what caste discrimination is (The Hindu)
- Boys will be Boys (FP) (Quote: "A Dalit doesn't have a 'right' to say no to rape")
- Dalits, adivasis disappointed with delay in amendment to atrocities Act (Times of India)