Daniella Isaacs: What my lockdown calls to an old man taught me about laughter, life – and myself

A few days into lockdown, a Facebook notification suggested I join the local Mutual Aid, a community group that helps and provides companionship to the most vulnerable. I thought, fantastic, a focus, and clicked through to the WhatsApp group, desperate for distraction. But the group seemed inactive; there were very few messages. Days and weeks passed in silence. And then, one morning, one of those brain-foggy beginnings that seemed then to characterise the pandemic, the group pinged to life. I’d spent the first few hours of the day watching my uncle’s funeral on Facebook Live – a victim of the coronavirus. 

But the message pulled me out of the stupor. “Old man seeks friend in Bethnal Green,” it read. It had been sent by Wilma, the head of the group. Without a moment’s thought, I replied: “Me! I’ll take him. Me!” And before long his number was shared, along with a brief “good luck”.

Alberto. 92....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/may/02/what-my-lockdown-calls-to-an-old-man-taught-me-about-laughter-life-and-myself

Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Goodbye Sadiq al-Azm, lone Syrian Marxist against the Assad regime