Kamal Haasan meets Madras University students, says we are moving towards a dictatorship

NB: Kamal Haasan should visit students and other struggling citizens all over India who are fightng against this vicious Bill; and lend them his support and encouragement. We must thank him for speaking out in favour of democracy, communal harmony and for protection of India's Constitution. DS


Makkal Needhi Maiam chief Kamal Haasan met the students of Madras University who are staging a protest inside the campus demanding the withdrawal of the amended Citizenship Act on Wednesday and said the country was moving towards a dictatorship. However, Haasan was stopped at the entry by the security forces and the actor-politician held talks with the students through the gate and extended his solidarity. Speaking to the reporters, Kamal Haasan said the freedom and the democracy of the nation was at stake.

“There are 800 students struck Inside Taramani and Marina campuses. They have been starved out so that their voices can be silenced. I have come here to lend my face as their podium and my vocal cords as their microphone. I am not allowed inside. They might say what rights I have got since I am a high school dropout. But let me tell you, once the students get their degrees and get out of the college, they will call themselves as engineers, lawyers, and doctors, but till I die, I will call myself a student. I shall remain a student and I have come here in that capacity to be their defender,” Haasan said.

“I will keep voicing, whether or not I had started a party, now that I have started a party, it has become my bonded duty to be here and voice. You cannot silence the voices across the country, I fear we are moving towards a dictatorship,” he further said... read more:
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/kamal-haasan-meets-madras-university-students-says-we-are-moving-towards-a-dictatorship/

see also











Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Goodbye Sadiq al-Azm, lone Syrian Marxist against the Assad regime