PARINITHA SHETTY: I Refuse to be

refuse to be the Hindu you want to shape me into.
I refuse to be the Hindu vote which will sustain the insane authority of your power.
I refuse to be the saffron of your Hindu flag that you bear like a sword ready to kill.
I refuse to be the Hindu for whom Rama can only be worshipped in the temple you will build after reducing a mosque to rubble.
I refuse the citizenship of your Hindu Nation in which Muslims will not be my equals as fellow citizens.
I refuse to be a Hindu who does not recognize that dead soldiers are the price we pay
For dividing ourselves as Hindus from those who are our own.
I refuse to be a Hindu who is made to recognize herself in the images of inhuman monsters you hold before me and which you claim are my reflections in a mirror

I refuse to allow you to crush the many splendoured , many hued, glorious, joyous, infinitely spiritual, creatively mutating and deeply compassionate possibilities of being a Hindu,
into the slogan of hate
into the rhetoric of fear
into the prison of bigotry
into the law of the tyrant
into a fragmented nation.
I refuse to be the Hindu you want me to be
And I will defy every effort of yours to dehumanize me

And shape me into that monstrous creature you call by the name Hindu

Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Albert Camus's lecture 'The Human Crisis', New York, March 1946. 'No cause justifies the murder of innocents'