'Now I own my life': Saudi sisters who fled family granted asylum

Two Saudi sisters who say they were beaten and treated like slaves by their brothers and father have been granted asylum in an undisclosed country. The women, aged 18 and 20, ran away from their family last September while on holiday in Sri Lanka and have been stranded in Hong Kong since an abandoned attempt to reach Australia, where they hoped to secure asylum.

The sisters, who are known by the pseudonyms Reem and Rawan, have asked for the country which granted them asylum to remain confidential. “I was so happy,” the younger sister told Reuters in Hong Kong, describing how she felt when she was told she had been given asylum. “I screamed, ‘It’s real, it’s happening’ ... It was just relief and unforgettable.”

The women arrived in Hong Kong in September after planning their escape over several years and secretly hoarding around $5,000. They were blocked from continuing their journey to Australia by Saudi consular agents at Hong Kong international airport and had their passports revoked. Had they been forcibly returned to Saudi Arabia they would have been at risk of criminal charges for leaving their homes without the permission of their male guardian, for escaping the country and for renouncing Islam. “They were like my jailer, like my prison officer. I was like a prisoner,” the younger sister said of her brothers and father.

The women were critical of Saudi Arabia’s male guardianship system, under which women must get permission from a male relative for activities such as working, travelling and getting married.
“Women are just like slaves,” said the older sister. “I want to settle down and to feel safe, and [to know] that I have rights and I matter in that country. Just to live normal, and discover myself … because now I own my life.”.. read more:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/25/now-i-own-my-life-saudi-sisters-who-fled-family-granted-asylum

see also
Jon Sharman - Saudi Arabia prepares to prosecute women’s rights activists
In Middle East, Impunity for Human Rights Abuses reigned in 2018: Amnesty
A message and an appeal  


Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Goodbye Sadiq al-Azm, lone Syrian Marxist against the Assad regime