“We want the world to know her real name. “My daughter didn’t do anything wrong, she died protecting herself. I am proud of her.."


She is known to the world only as India’s Daughter following her sickening gang rape and murder. But today, with permission of her devastated father, we can reveal her name: Jyoti Singh Pandey. Brave dad Badri, 53, told The Sunday People: “We want the world to know her real name. “My daughter didn’t do anything wrong, she died while protecting herself.
“I am proud of her. Revealing her name will give courage to other women who have survived these attacks. They will find strength from my daughter.”
Indians participate in a candlelight vigil protesting against a leader of the ruling Congress party on accusations he raped a woman in a village in the early hours of the morning, in Gauhati, India
We interviewed Badri and his family in his ancestral village of Billia in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. They have retreated there to grieve away from their Delhi home – a place that will constantly remind them of the barbaric sexual attack Jyoti, 23, was subjected to when she and a male friend were lured on to a bus. His wife Asha, 46, was too shell-shocked to talk to us.
Badri said: “At first I wanted to see the men responsible face to face but I don’t want to any more. I just want to hear that the courts have punished them and they will be hanged.
“Death for all six of them. These men are beasts. They should be made an example of and that society will not allow such things to happen.”
Recalling the day he found out about his only daughter’s ordeal, Badri said he had just returned home after 10:30 pm on December 16 from his shift at Delhi airport where he works as a loader. His wife was worried after Jyoti, a medical school graduate, had not returned home from the cinema. Badri said: “We started calling her mobile and her friend’s mobile but there was no answer.
“Then at 11.15pm we got a call from the hospital in Delhi telling me my daughter had been in an accident.” Badri asked a friend to take him on a motorbike. He said: “When I first saw her she was in the bed with her eyes closed. “I put my hand on her forehead and called her name. She slowly opened her eyes and started crying and said she was in pain.
“I held my tears. I told her not to worry, have strength and everything will be all right.”


Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Albert Camus's lecture 'The Human Crisis', New York, March 1946. 'No cause justifies the murder of innocents'