Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird : Wallace Stevens

I
Among twenty snowy mountains,
The only moving thing
Was the eye of the blackbird.



II
I was of three minds,
Like a tree
In which there are three blackbirds.



III
The blackbird whirled in the autumn winds.
It was a small part of the pantomime.



IV
A man and a woman
Are one.
A man and a woman and a blackbird
Are one.



V
I do not know which to prefer,
The beauty of inflections
Or the beauty of innuendoes,
The blackbird whistling
Or just after.



Read the whole poem: http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/stevens-13ways.html

Popular posts from this blog

History Archive: Communist Party of India's resolution on Pakistan and National Unity, September 1942

Pakistan's First Law & Labour Minister, Jogendra Nath Mandal's Resignation Letter, October 1950

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Ben Marks - The Mao Mango Cult of 1968 and the Rise of China's Working Class

Muslim girl meets Hindu boy. How our forbidden love blossomed in Canada

Did Stalin poison Lenin?

The Manifesto of the Anti-Fascist Intellectuals: Written by Benedetto Croce (1925)