Trevor Noah: You broke the social contract // By Chad Sanders: I Don’t Need ‘Love’ Texts From My White Friends

You broke the social contract
Trevor shares his thoughts on the killing of George Floyd, the protests in Minneapolis, the dominos of racial injustice and police brutality, and how the contract between society and black Americans has been broken time and time again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4amCfVbA_c

I Don’t Need ‘Love’ Texts From My White Friends; I need them to fight anti-blackness
My book is coming out in a few months, and I don’t know if I’m going to be alive to see it, because I’m a black man. On Monday evening my agent, a liberal white woman in her 30s, sent an email informing me that she was postponing our important meeting with my editor the next day. The agency representing my book was observing a Blackout Day “to honor George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and the countless other black men and women who have been unjustifiably brutalized and killed.”

The company planned to “take this time to reflect and think about long-term actions we can take both as individuals and as an organization to address the systemic racism that persists in our business and communities,” she added. To paraphrase, my agent was pushing back a meeting necessary for the completion and timely release of my book - which is about how black people can apply the lessons we derive from traumatic experiences to our careers - so that white people could reflect on how to help black people. I countered, insisting that our meeting take place as scheduled because black people’s lives are in danger, and I shouldn’t have to sacrifice momentum on a book written for black people because white people are performing empathy....
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/opinion/whites-anti-blackness-protests.html?referringSource=articleShare

see also
Mukul Kesavan - Donald Trump and the global equalization of awfulness

Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Goodbye Sadiq al-Azm, lone Syrian Marxist against the Assad regime