8 Years After British Teen Scarlett Keeling's Death In Goa, Both Accused Let Off / Ruchika molestation case: SC upholds conviction of former Haryana DGP, jail term reduced to 18 months
More than eight years after 15-year-old British teenager Scarlett Keeling's body was found on a beach in Goa, two men accused of raping her and causing her death have been acquitted by a court. Two beach shack workers Samson D'souza and Placido Carvalho were acquitted by the Goa children's court on Friday. They had been accused of sexually assaulting Scarlett after giving her a cocktail of drugs and leaving her unconscious in the shallow waters. Her body was found in the early hours of February 19, 2008.
"I am devastated. The Indian judicial system has totally let me down," said Scarlett's mother, Fiona MacKeown, who came to Goa hoping her daughter would finally get justice. Before the verdict, Ms MacKeown had told reporters: "It has been long time of waiting. Waiting for this day. I am nervous and hope that the struggle and wait will end."
Ruchika molestation case: SC upholds conviction of former Haryana DGP, jail term reduced