Sandip Roy: Harassment of Urdu editor proves our own hypocrisy
WE are being slaughtered by YOUR secondary enemy ! Open Letter to the Left
* The loss of her job.
* Her paper shutting down meaning others lost their jobs as well.
* Going underground and living away from home.
* Some Urdu papers alleging she is a pawn of the RSS women’s wing.
* Staying away from Muslim majority neighbourhoods.
* Being unable to meet her children.
* Her children unable to attend college.
* Threatening messages on Whatsapp warning “maafi nahin milegi” (no forgiveness is possible).
* Having to wear a burqa for the first time in her life.
* Battling four FIRs. Some media reports say six.
In a mea culpa published on NDTV she writes:
I, Shirin Dalvi, begin with an apology for having printed the title cover of Charlie Hebdo. It was a mistake and I had no intention to hurt the feelings of my community. Like any other Muslim, I deeply respect Prophet Mohammed - sallallahu alahi wa sallam - Peace be upon Him…
… We juxtaposed it with news of the Pope's statement where he criticized the Prophet cartoons and said freedom of expression was not absolute and religious beliefs should not be mocked in the name of this freedom. She meant the cartoons as a topical illustration to the Pope’s statement not as commentary on their own.
The fact is that very few women rise to prominent leadership roles in Urdu journalism and not many people are happy with the fact that I have. One of the persons who is planting negative stories against me in the Urdu press had, in fact, stated that one must not work under the leadership of a woman.
Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd's Legacy (Library of writings)