PADS Statement in Solidarity with Shri Kumar Prashant, President of Gandhi Peace Foundation // Press statement by Shri Kumar Prashant

I would like to remind my friends of the other side that its nothing but sin to poison the minds of innocent youths completely unaware of historical facts and lies. In fact, we actively bring them under our influence to spread lies and hatred. It’s unholy act of ours. This is an attempt to dehumanise the younger generation. And by doing so, we are dehumanising them, their families and the Indian society as a whole. Mahatma Gandhi was killed by this venom. We should refrain from getting into this vicious circle once again. May god bless us and let a good sense prevail 
From Kumar Prashant's letter to friends.
NB: I salute Kumar Prashant for his courage, for speaking the above words. Dilip

People’s Alliance for Democracy and Secularism
Press Release
31.08.2019

People’s Alliance for Democracy and Secularism (PADS) expresses its concern over the two FIRS being filed in Odisha (Kandhmal and Katak) against Shri Kumar Prashant, president of Gandhi Peace Foundation, allegedly for hurting sentiments of local RSS members, spreading lies about RSS and instigating people against the actions taken by the Union Government in Kashmir. 

Instead of proving Kumar Prashant wrong by publishing or speaking their refutation of his views, the RSS have taken recourse to court. The role of RSS, Hindu Mahasabha and Muslim League during our India's independence movement is well documented and is still being debated. Historical controversies cannot be resolved or put to rest in courts of law. They are academic and political matters. The RSS leadership, must be well aware of this fact but it has chosen to take recourse to intimidation and threats to suppress a democratically expressed opinion by Kumar Prashant.

This is nothing other than an attempt to police public opinion by threats. It is an example of the totalitarian habit of mind of the RSS. On this matter we are in solidarity with Kumar Prashant. We trust in our judiciary and are confident that  the Kandhmal and Katak courts will do justice to the veteran Gandhian. We also expect of the Naveen Patnaik government to intervene and prevent the Odisha Police from taking any unlawful action against  him.

Released by People’s Alliance for Democracy and Secularism (PADS)

Battini Rao, Convenor PADS (95339 75195, battini.rao@gmail.com

Gagging dissent? Two FIRs filed against Gandhi Peace Foundation chief Kumar Prashant

Press statement by Shri Kumar Prashant


Dear Sir,
I was invited by the government of Odisha for a program. In eight days, during 15-23 August
2019, I travelled in various parts of Bhubneshwar, Bhadrak, Rourkella and Sambalpur. These
programs were organized by the local units of Gandhi Peace Foundation and Rashtriya Yuva
Sangathan to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The program was in
the name of Gandhi Katha. This was an extension of a similar programs that I have been doing
since last few years, in which I narrate the history of the Gandhian Era.

I was surprised at the kind of response this innocent narration of historical facts got in Odisha, across the sections ranging from common citizens to the intellectuals to the officials as well as the media.
But there was a section also who did not like my presentation. They attended all most all my
programs; they heard me and also asked questions a couple of times. I must like to mention that
they never disrupted my programs anywhere. But the disruption emerged on a different front. Local
officials of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, RSS, filed FIR against me first in Kandhamal and
then in Cuttack. Their FIR suggested that I am spreading baseless facts in the name of History,
tarnishing the image of their heroes. They alleged that I’m hurting their sentiments. And that my
talks were anti-national in light of events in Kashmir. And that I should be arrested immediately for
inciting the people of Kashmir.

This surprised me as I was always open for discussions and they could have asked me question on each platform, but instead they asked for my arrest. Only those who do not have faith in the truth, look for the state support to stop it. There was a sharp reaction in Odisha to these FIRs. Media also publicised the event. I was approached by the print and the electronic media at every location. I saw that social media also echoed the sentiment. And because of social media, the whole country took notice of this event and the matter became a subject of heated discussions. I felt the need to speak to the media in Odisha to clarify my position on the matter before the completion of my tour. On 23.08.2019 I addressed the medial conference in Bhubaneshwar, and released the statement that has been attached along with this letter.

I am forwarding the statement to you in both Hindi and English so that you are aware of my
position on the matter. I believe that this statement will also help clarify the Gandhian stand in this
rapidly changing socio-political situation in India. Warm Regards,
Kumar Prashant


Kumar Prashant's Letter To Friends
After completing my 8 days long tour of Odisha, I just reached Bhubaneshwar. In these 8
days, I met so many wise and right people. I was especially impressed by the wisdom shown by
the Odisha government and its officials, by the media in the state, as well as the Gandhians
including the youth of the Rashtriya Yuva Sangathan, the next-gen Gandhians.

I am sure you will agree that the discussions and deliberations have almost stopped in
recent years. There is a clear attempt to shut people by the power of number, or with the help of
the state. To say, might is right is completely against the spirit of democracy. Democracy is nothing
if there is no difference of opinion along with a scope for healthy discussions between the
disagreeing parties. But instead I see a complete intolerance towards such voices by the people in
power and the various organisations supporting the government. For years I have been speaking,
writing and analysing about the facts and event associated with Mahatma Gandhi. And the least I
can say is that all of it has historical documents. I do not speak out of spite or lie about any person,
organisation, individual or events. Being a mere soldier of Gandhi, I cannot even think of doing
such a thing. My Gandhian value system does not allow me to do so.

Just like Congress and other political parties, I have many friends in BJP and Sangh Parivar,
and they have in turn known me for years. I am not sure if they are still allowed to freely express
their opinion there, but I am sure these friends will, in their heart of hearts, give the testimony, that
despite deep ideological differences, I have maintained our friendship for years now. To stick to
ones own truth with the utmost kindness is the basic foundation of Gandhian philosophy. And
those who know me, are aware that my foundation is not weak. Personal abuse, allegations,
threats of police and courts, FIRs are all very futile attempts to intimidate me. On the contrary, I
appeal to every one that I am willing to have healthy discussions based on facts that prove me
wrong.

I would like to remind my friends of the other side that its nothing but sin to poison the minds of innocent youths completely unaware of historical facts and lies. In fact, we actively bring them under our influence to spread lies and hatred. It’s unholy act of ours. This is an attempt to dehumanise the younger generation. And by doing so, we are dehumanising them, their families and the Indian society as a whole. Mahatma Gandhi was killed by this venom. We should refrain from getting into this vicious circle once again. May god bless us and let a good sense prevail.

Kumar Prashant
Bhubaneshwar, Odisha : 23 August 2019

see also
1948: Assassination of Gandhi
कुमार प्रशांत - तो राष्ट्रीय स्वंयसेवक संघ ने एक बार फिर गांधी से दो-दो हाथ करने का मन बनाया है // Bharat Bhushan: BJP icon S P Mookerjee complicit in raising funds for defending Gandhi's assassins
Mario Candeias: Understanding the Rise of the Radical Right

Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Albert Camus's lecture 'The Human Crisis', New York, March 1946. 'No cause justifies the murder of innocents'