Dupont and the forever toxic chemicals / Tom Petty I Won't Back Down

This is a song at the end of the film Dark Waters (2019), about the lawyer who became Duponts worst nightmareDark Waters, tells of the toxic spills scandal that led to US chemicals giant DuPont paying US$671 million (£516 million) to settle more than 3,500 lawsuits in 2017. The company’s plant in Parkersburg, West Virginia had been contaminating the water supply with perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also known as C-8, which is used to make products such as Teflon.

The contamination had a “probable link with six illnesses” among the local population, including kidney and testicular cancer. DuPont had used C-8 since the 1950s. It had known since the early 1980s that the chemical was toxic to humans, but only agreed in 2006 to phase out its use. Though the company continued to deny wrongdoing, it has become one of the classic cases in which business leaders pursued a strategy that could cause human harm long after the risks had come to their attention...

The DuPont incident was considered to be of sufficient interest to Americans to justify a major movie, even though it unfolded a long time ago. For the same reasons, Hollywood will probably never make a movie about, say, the historic child labour abuse of Nike and Nestlé in the factories of their suppliers in developing countries; or the Jebel al-Zayt oil spill off the coast of Egypt....

https://theconversation.com/dark-waters-what-dupont-scandal-can-teach-companies-about-doing-the-right-thing-132480


Dark Waters' pollution threat could be a ticking timebomb worldwide


How DuPont may avoid paying to clean up a toxic 'forever chemical'




Well, I won't back down
No I won't back down
You could stand me up at the gates of Hell
But I won't back down

No I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground

And I won't back down
Hey baby
There ain't no easy way out (I won't back down)
Hey I will stand my ground

And I won't back down
Well, I know what's right
I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around

But I'll stand my ground
And I won't back down
Hey baby
There ain't no easy way out (I won't back down)

Hey I will stand my ground (I won't back down)
And I won't back down
Hey baby
There ain't no easy way out (I won't back down)

Hey I won't back down
Hey baby
There ain't no easy way out (I won't back down)
Hey I will stand my ground (I won't back down)

And I won't back down (I won't back down)
No I won't back down

*******************************************




Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Albert Camus's lecture 'The Human Crisis', New York, March 1946. 'No cause justifies the murder of innocents'