Angie Zelter: After 40 years of climate activism, I feel a surge of hope

I am now 68 years of age but when I was 21, in my final year at university, I became aware of major problems then facing the world: war, poverty, acid rain, ozonedepletion, desertificationdeforestation, species loss, civil and military uses and abuses of nuclear power, pollution, population growth, consumerism and the climate crisis. I was determined to devote my life to helping solve these problems. 
 After spending three years in Cameroon, learning about deforestation for timber and cash crops such as palm oil, and the exploitation of the rich resources of Africa to the detriment of locals and enrichment of corporations and western societies, I returned home to the nuclear weapons crisis of the cold war. I joined the Greenham Common protests, founded the Snowball civil disobedience campaign and then later the anti-nuclear weapons group Trident Ploughshares. I also became involved in work on the climate crisis. 

I learned that everything is connected and that it all has an impact on the climate, on biodiversity and on the sustainability of life on Earth. I discovered more about how our reliance on fossil fuels was causing the greenhouse effect and soon joined with climate scientists and local environmentalists to start a group in Norwich that tried to educate the public. We put up maps showing how much of East Anglia and London would be under water as temperatures soared and the sea levels rose. 

This was in the early 1980s. We concentrated on what individuals could do to lower their carbon footprints – by putting up solar panels, changing lightbulbs, practising recycling and re-use, eating less meat, using public transport, shopping carefully and locally, and consuming less... read more:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/26/climate-activism-extinction-rebellion-protest-guilty

Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Albert Camus's lecture 'The Human Crisis', New York, March 1946. 'No cause justifies the murder of innocents'