Benazir Bhutto murdered again. By Hamid Mir

She placed her glasses on her eyes and said, “Let me tell you today, clearly, that they have decided to kill me. They will kill me soon and they will put the responsibility on the Taliban or the Al Qaeda. But you can name Musharraf as my assassin if I am killed”.

It took almost ten years for a Pakistani anti-terror court to announce its verdict in the Benazir Bhutto murder case. The Rawalpindi judge Muhammad Asghar Khan acquitted five accused Taliban terrorists, awarded 17-years imprisonment each to two senior police officials for abetting the crime and declared former military dictator Pervez Musharraf absconder. 

There is deep disappointment among the people after this controversial verdict. They believe Benazir Bhutto has been murdered again. It was expected that the court would not be able to convict Musharraf in absentia and the five main accused released. But I didn’t think that the court would imprison Ex-DIG Saud Aziz and SP Khurram Shehzad; I thought they would be saved by some “powerful people.” But the court has rejected Musharraf’s conspiracy theory and actually reversed it by implicating two police officials. Does this mean that Musharraf is part of the crime? Even as the former dictator enjoys life in London, Benazir Bhutto has returned as a bad nightmare for the former dictator.

I still remember my last meeting with Benazir Bhutto just a few days before her assassination in 2007. She invited me for breakfast at her residence in Islamabad. The breakfast table was laid outside her living area in the garage. Having known her since 1987 I was sure she wanted to say something very important to me and was trying to avoid our conversation from being bugged; hence the outdoors breakfast. She received me with a smile on her face but looked sad and disturbed. She had survived a suicide attack only two months before in Karachi, on October 18th 2007 when she had returned from exile, in a bomb attack which claimed 180 people. I told her I wasn’t carrying my mobile phone with me. She sent hers inside the house as well.

She started her conversation by asking me about my family and then said, “I must confess you were right about my dialogue with Musharraf. It was just a trap. Musharraf only wanted to use me for prolonging his power. He was not serious about restoring democracy. Now this dialogue is over.”
She ordered orange juice for me and lemon and honey tea for herself. She began to eat walnuts with lemon and honey tea. She offered some walnuts to me and said “I am trying to reduce my weight with these, knowing that I may not live a long life”. I immediately responded, May God give you a long life. She expressed concerns about my security. She recalled my first kidnapping in 1990 when she was prime minister and I had filed a story saying that president Ghulam Ishaq Khan was planning to dismiss her....read more:



Popular posts from this blog

Third degree torture used on Maruti workers: Rights body

Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

The Almond Trees by Albert Camus (1940)

Satyagraha - An answer to modern nihilism

Rudyard Kipling: critical essay by George Orwell (1942)

Three Versions of Judas: Jorge Luis Borges

Goodbye Sadiq al-Azm, lone Syrian Marxist against the Assad regime